The Melbourne Racing Club (the Club) recognises the value of diversity and the importance of providing high quality services to our members and customers.
We seek to provide an environment and culture that leverages a range of perspectives and experiences. Our commitment to Diversity extends across all areas of the Club.
This policy applies to all members, customers, staff, contractors, and visitors.
The Club’s commitment to Diversity means that we:
- Seek to attract and retain a diverse Club environment that reflects the diversity of our stakeholders, members and community
- Facilitate equal opportunity in all relevant factors
- Develop flexible practices that meet the diverse needs of our Club
- Meet all legislative and reporting requirements
- Do not tolerate non inclusive behaviours such as illegal discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, bullying, victimisation, vilification
3. Eliminating Non Inclusive Behaviours
The Club values diversity, and as such we are committed to eliminating non-inclusive behaviours and ensuring we provide a racecourse and Club environment free from unlawful discrimination.
The Club’s policy on Harassment and Bullying should also be referred to in conjunction with this policy.
3.1.1 Direct Discrimination
Direct discrimination occurs when an individual is treated less favourably than another person would be in relation to protected attributes, which includes but may not be limited to:
- Family or carer responsibilities
- gender identity
- marital status
- physical features
- pregnancy and breastfeeding
- parental status
- lawful sexuality
- irrelevant criminal record
- physical features
- union affiliation or non-affiliation and / or
- political beliefs
3.1.2. Indirect Discrimination
Indirect discrimination results from practices which may appear neutral on the surface, but which result in a person or group of people who have one or more characteristics for which direct discrimination is prohibited (see above), being adversely affected where there is no valid reason for the practice.
4. Fostering Inclusive Behaviours
The Club is committed to engaging and strengthening inclusive practices and embedding them into our Club’s systems, policies and processes.
We will seek to embrace different viewpoints and provide frameworks to encourage these inclusive behaviours.
The Club is also committed to complying with all legislative reporting requirements and participating in other industry and government initiatives to advance diversity.
Anyone wishing to raise a complaint regarding a practice that breaches this policy should speak with the Membership Team on 1300 GO RACE (46 7223) or email email@example.com, or refer to the Club’s Grievance Resolution Policy.